Sunday, February 6, 2011

Beans! Beans! Beans!

© Nick Young 2011

In my exploration of vegetarian cooking I'm finding that beans are a great protein substitute, so I thought I'd explore some of the dried beans/peas that are commonly available at the average supermarket.

Great Northern Beans
I find myself using these beans the most. They are great to use in a Cassoulet. However, as that is a meat dish I can't post that recipe in this blog, at least not until Louisa goes out of town! They are also a good choice for veggie/bean burgers and soups.

Pinto Beans
Pinto beans are prominent in Mexican cuisine, primarily as refried beans.

Small Red Beans
Small red beans are used a lot in the cuisine of southern Louisiana such as the classic Creole dish, red beans and rice.

Cannellini Beans
Cannellini beans are related to kidney beans and are popular in central and southern Italian cooking.

Black Eyed Pea
Black Eyed Peas have many uses around the world, even as a dessert in Vietnam. Here in Texas it's called Texas Caviar when served with a mix of spices, peppers etc. and a zesty Italian dressing.

Split Peas
Split peas are mainly used in soups, although I have seen, and plan to try, burger recipes using them.

Black Beans
Black beans are prominent in latin American cooking as well as Creole and Cajun food. A great bean for soups. They are also a good choice for veggie/bean burgers and soups.

Light Red Kidney Beans
Kidney beans are commonly used in chili. Kidney beans contain a toxin when raw and should be boiled for ten minutes, before cooking by any 'slow cooker method', to avoid poisoning! Yikes!

Photo: left to right, starting from the top - great northern beans, pinto beans, small red beans, cannellini beans, black eyed peas, split peas, black beans, light red kidney beans.




DreamHost sale

2 comments:

  1. Nick, I also try to include different varieties of beans in my cooking and I would like to suggest GARBANZO BEANS! They are so "meaty" (Louisa will not like my choice of word, I'm sure), very soft skin and slightly sweet. Very used throughout Mediterranean cooking, we also use them in the North of Spain for peasant-style, one-pot meals. My favorite bean for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Lorena,

    Thanks I actually already posted a Garbanzo bean (aka Chick Pea) recipe here,

    http://asingledadcooks.blogspot.com/2011/01/chickpeasalad-017-crop.html

    And I'm sure I'll be posting a Hummus recipe soon!

    Nick

    ReplyDelete