Wednesday, January 19, 2011

My First Post - Tangy Red & White Coleslaw


Recently my 16 year old daughter made the request to switch to a vegetarian diet. She always had a love of animals and an aversion to animal cruelty/testing etc. so felt it was hypocritical of her to continue to eat meat. However, she will continue to eat fish occasionally, so her diet will really be pescetarian.

Here is one of the first things I made, a tangy red and white cabbage coleslaw.


1/2 small white cabbage, shredded.
1/4 small red cabbage, shredded.
5 medium carrots, grated.
1 medium red onion, thinly sliced.
1/2 bunch cilantro, chopped (optional).

This will make quite a lot of coleslaw so, unless you are feeding a large group, I suggest you ziplock and refrigerate most of it and make the dressing to order as you need it.

Dressing

1 cup mayo.
1 cup plain greek yoghurt.
1 lime or lemon, juiced.
2 tsps ground cumin.

I advise adjusting these amounts to personal taste.

The reason I make a lot of this is that it can be added to other dishes, such as black bean tacos. (see next post!)



No comments:

Post a Comment